INSIGHT Ketamine Clinic
4800 S. Saginaw St. Flint, MI 48503
What is Ketamine?
Ketamine has been widely used since the 1960s when it was first synthesized for anesthesia during surgeries. When used as an anesthetic, its dissociative properties allow for pain relief and sedation.
Ketamine research for treatment resistant depression began in the 1990s at Yale University. Depression has been historically understood as a serotonin neurotransmitter deficiency, but current research has revealed that the serotonin hypothesis only accounts for less than 20 percent of neurotransmitters in the brain. The other 80 percent of neurotransmitters in the brain are GABA and glutamate. Both of these transmitters create a push and pull response that sparks electrical activity in the brain. Further research into these two neurotransmitters revealed they may be responsible for regulating the majority of brain activity, including mood.
During Yale’s study on ketamine, research revealed the medication triggers glutamate production, prompting the brain to develop neural connections. These new neural connections allow patients to develop more positive thoughts and behaviors. Stress and depression make it more difficult to deal with traumatic events, leading to high rates of treatment resistant depression.
Think of Ketamine as falling snow and the brain as a sledding hill. After traumatic experiences, negative thinking patterns develop and sled routes are laid down the hill as semi permanent paths. These routes are taken over and over, further impacting depression and stress. Ketamine allows fresh snow to be laid on the hill, allowing sleds to find new fresh paths.
4800 S. Saginaw St.Flint, MI 48503
8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Ketamine for PTSD
Ketamine for Depression
Depression is the third leading cause of disability worldwide. Even if successfully treated, 80 percent of patients relapse in five years and over 30 percent fail to respond to at least two antidepressant treatments and will be diagnosed with treatment resistant depression.
In 2000, Yale started its first randomized clinical trial studying ketamine’s antidepressant effects. After nearly twenty years of research, the FDA finally approved ketamine-based treatment for depression in 2019.
While antidepressants can take weeks to kick in, ketamine has shown a response as early as a few hours after administration. Ketamine’s ability to impact glutamate allows the stimulation of brain cells to communicate in areas that affect cognitive and emotional functions. Research has also shown that ketamine may be able to reverse the damages between brain cells caused by stress, also leading to longer successful treatment for patients suffering from major depression and anxiety.
Ketamine for Pain
Ketamine has been used in various settings to manage a patient’s sedative or analgesic needs. It is considered a potential option for the treatment of pain at a low dose infusion as an effective adjunct to traditional opioid therapy. The benefits of using ketamine include the low risks of hypotension and respiratory depression. Ketamine can be considered a potential option for the treatment of pain and agitation with its unique aspect that it seems to counteract opioid-induced hyperalgesia. Ketamine not only improves pain management, but it also reduces a patient’s required total daily morphine dose, leading to overall improved quality of life.
Is Ketamine right for you?
Ketamine therapy requires a behavioral health referral from a patient’s psychiatrist and you must be 18 and older. Infusions require six monitored treatments over a two week time period. A maintenance booster infusion is also recommended every four months.
Each infusion session will require 40-60 minutes with a nurse at the bedside monitoring the patient, with a 30 minute monitoring time post-infusion. A calming and relaxing therapeutic setting will be provided for the patient during the infusion.
If patients begin to feel any potential side effects, a nurse will be able to provide medications to decrease nausea or dizziness. Reliable transportation is required and a responsible adult for accompanying the patient must be present. Patients are advised to not drink, drive, or make any legal decisions 24 hours after the infusion.
Ketamine therapy is not recommended for patients who are pregnant/nursing or patients with a history of aneurysms, seizure disorder, schizophrenia, uncontrolled hypertension, severe heart disease, and stroke.
Side effects from ketamine are typically minimal but include: feeling tired, slightly increased blood pressure, and visual hallucinations.
Ketamine infusions are covered through the Veterans Association insurance and a discount is provided to all first responders (EMS, Police, and Fire). For patients paying out of pocket the cost is $475 per treatment, with the requirement of paying for three treatments total to obtain the best outcome.